Hopefully this explanation is easy to follow and hopefully I don’t miss anything!
Things you may need depending on what you’re sanitizing:
- spritz bottle
- cotton balls
- 70% rubbing alcohol or higher (the higher the better so it dries faster)
- clean paper towels
- cup or jar (something to pour alcohol in and dip products into)
- pencil sharpener
- baby shampoo
Start by filling your spritz bottle with alcohol, then fill a cup with alcohol (if you have pencils/lipsticks), and spray your sharpener with alcohol (if you have pencils).
- Pressed powders- Gently wipe the top layer of your pressed powder with a tissue. Spritz with alcohol, the product (don’t saturate too much, one spritz should do) and the packaging..every surface inside and out.Alternatively, you can wipe down the packaging with a cotton ball saturated with alcohol (same goes for packaging on everything). Set it on your paper towels and let dry.
- Lipstick- Wipe the tip with a tissue. Give the whole lipstick part of the product a quick dip in your cup of alcohol, spritz the packaging with alcohol, or use your saturated cotton balls. ..every surface, don’t forget the inside of the cap. Set it on your paper towels and let dry.
- Pencils- Sharpen your pencil, dip the tip in the alcohol, spray packaging or use a saturated cotton ball, let dry on paper towels.
- Creams/Gels- Spray the product with alcohol, but don’t saturate it too much because that could ruin the product. Spritz the packaging or use your saturated cotton ball, let dry on paper towels. Note: If your product has a lot of divots and dips from brushes then it may not get completely sanitized.
- Foundations with pumps- Spritz every surface with alcohol or use a saturated cotton ball, paying special attention to the pump. Let dry.
- Brushes- Wash with baby shampoo, spritz with alcohol. Let dry on their side.
The following can’t be sanitized: Loose powders, foundations without pumps, and products with wand applicators (mascara, liquid liners, some lip glosses, concealers), squeezy tubes like lip glosses.
Protip: To keep products that can’t be sanitized germ-free you can use disposable applicators and never go from your face to your product with a used applicator. Using a mixing palette is helpful also, that way you can put your product on there and double dip if you need to!